11 March 2009

Wise use of resources

One of the things that I want to work on the most is being a good steward of my resources - whatever they may be. The time that the Lord gives me on this earth is brief, so I want to be a good steward of my time. The Lord has provided for everything that we need on this planet, but I want to make sure not to be wasteful of our resources. In my study through understanding food and eating in God's way I've looked up some verses to teach me.

I am to be a good steward of the food resources that God gives me (not to use them all up at once) and to share those with others in want. (What are my food resources? Food, itself, but also the money to buy it, the time spend looking for, preparing and eating it and the time and energy that I expend thinking about it)

Gen 41:35-36 "Then let them gather all the food of these good years that are coming, and store up the grain for food in the cities under Pharaoh's authority, and let them guard it. Let the food become as a reserve for the land for the seven years of famine which will occur in the land of Egypt, so that the land will not perish during the famine."

The valuable resource of food, sustenance, was gathered and guarded and had to be used carefully to feed the nation of Egypt during the seven years of famine. I need to consume food in the right amount so that it's not lost nor wasted.

Proverbs 25:21 "If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; And if he is thirsty, give him water to drink"
Luke 3:11 And he would answer and say to them, "The man who has two tunics is to hare with him who has none; and he who has food is to do likewise."

I am to share food and water with those in need - those who are hungry (not those who are bored and looking to food for entertainment) - even if they are my enemies.

Matthew 14:19-20 Ordering the people to sit down on the grass, He took the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up toward heaven, He blessed the food, and breaking the loaves He gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds, and they all ate and were satisfied. They picked up what was left over of the broken pieces, twelve full baskets.

The Lord provided food for all. They ate until they were satisfied, not until they were popping out of their tunics, or falling into a food coma, but they ate the amount that tehy needed. Jesus provided enough for all.

There's so much in God's Word about being a wise steward of resources - using what is given to you and not being wasteful. This is just the tip of the vast biblical writings on this subject. Thank you, God, for giving us all we need for life and godliness.

No comments: