03 March 2009

Engaged and available

No, I'm not talking about matrimony :) God is showing me that He can use me and my situation for His glory (imagine that) if I am engaged and available.

My friend Bert has a saying "Any old bush will do". Actually, he wrote a book with that title. It's based on the story of Moses in the wilderness when God spoke to him through a burning bush. Bert's point is: Was that bush special? Had it done anything to deserve such an honor form God? No. It was a bush, doing what bushes do. But it was available for God's use. When we are available to Him, he can use us.

For me, I've chosen to add that I need to be engaged. I think that God can do more in me if I am engaged in His plan.

This weekend I had a terrible attitude. I let the number on the scale get to me. I let someone else's problems bother me. I assumed that other bad things were going to happen to me. I didn't want to go to church or participate in Sunday school. I had a really bad attitude. So, Sunday night as I was trying to complete my Bible study homework for Monday, God's Word fell on a hard heart. I could have gotten so much more out of the study if I had only been engaged in the lesson. I tried to be obedient, but my self-pitying heart was focused on myself.

Lessons like this are so sad for me. I wasted an opportunity to enjoy and learn from God's Word. Lord, teach me to enjoy You and leave myself behind!

No comments: