17 March 2009

Change - God's process of sanctification

In my ladie's Bible study we've been going through the gospel of Luke. At the last supper, after the disciples argue over who will be the greatest in the Lord's Kingdom, Jesus addresses Peter saying that Satan had asked to sift the disciples like wheat. The author of the study inferred that Satan's goal was their destruction, but God's goal was their sanctification.

Peter, I believe, was already justified (saved) through his confession of faith in Jesus. The man had previously had enough faith to walk on water with the Lord. He called Jesus the Messiah. He was right with God, but still had a lot to learn. Jesus knew that after the sifting Peter would have the strength and knowledge to encourage the bretheren. Jesus knew that Peter would be a leader. God allowed really difficult things to happen in Peter's life so that the things blocking his leadership would be pruned away, leaving a man who was sure of his identity in Christ.

Peter, himself, wrote in 1 Peter 1:3 "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead." Later, in 1 Peter 3 he writes in length about suffering for doing good.

I don't know about other people, but I can say that I've rarely known suffering. I live in the USA in the 21st century. I've been blessed more than I know and I've probably never really suffered for doing good (most of my suffering comes from my own poor choices and sin). That said, I know that God allows times of sifting/pruning/polishing to form me into greater likeness of His son. I love to look at Job as an example. Was he perfect? No, but the Lord saw him to be upright in all of his ways. Nevertheless, God allowed Satan to sift Job so that he would turn to the Lord and know Him better.

Now, I don't readily welcome sifting, but if that is what it takes for me to know the Lord better, I'm certain that it is eternally worth it.

Praise God! He loves me for who I am and yet He loves me too much to let me remain the same!

No comments: