15 March 2009

The abiding room

In my Sunday school class we've been talking the last couple of weeks about justification and sanctification. They are big words that don't come up in normal conversation.

Justification is being made right with God. This happen because of God's grace through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ (see Romans 5). This is a one-time action. Believe in the Name of the Lord and you will be saved.

Sanctification is different. It is an on-going process in which God sifts, prunes and teaches me so I reflect Him more and more. I am unable to complete this training myself, so He gave me the best personal trainer ever - the Holy Spirit :)

For both actions, it is God who does the work. I can't justify myself nor sanctify myself.

As a believer of Christ I've learned that the teaching, pruning and sifting process happens more beneficially if I spend more time with the Lord. Just as I need to be with Him moment by moment to overcome my addiction to gluttony, I must abide in Him to grow spiritually in all other areas.

One of the leaders at my church has a great lesson about justification and sanctification (or call it salvation and growth in Christ). He calls it the abiding room. I highly recommend visiting his website: http://www.abidingroom.com

Be blessed! When in doubt, ask your Personal Trainer to whip you into shape!

No comments: