24 March 2009

Truth for Today

The Lord lead me to confront my habitual sin of gluttony. It is amazing how Satan uses these moments that God intends for sanctification as a way to bring up all of my other fleshly faults.

Gluttony isn't my only habitual sin. At its root are selfishness and pride. My flesh is unloving, ungrateful, stubborn, angry and bitterness. In the last few weeks I have seen a particular flare-up of all of these, but mainly bitterness. I had been too prideful to confess this to anyone until last night at Bible study. A dear sister prayed for my freedom from bitterness. I know this is the Lord's will and I will have to consistently lay down my personal desire to be bitter (I know it sounds totally messed up to want to wallow in bitterness, but that is sin's hold on me). I may not feel like doing it, but it is the Lord's command.

I heard the story of another sister who was in bondage to alcoholism. She learned 1 Thessalonians 5.17 by practice "pray without ceasing". The idea of going an entire day without a drink was too much to bear, so she asked the Lord to strengthen her just until lunch. Then, at lunch time, she asked Him again to carry her until dinner. On and on it went.

Maybe the Lord is using the presence of other sins to drive me to Him. Maybe I've become too complacent in my new eating routine and I'm not as dependent on Him as I need to be. Maybe He's using this to increase my dependence on Him.

At any rate, as a guide I want to choose a Truth for Today that I can meditate on daily. The one I've chosen for today is this:

I'm a child of God - He is my Father - and He loves me

1 John 3:1-2 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

Do I believe this is true? God says it is.

No comments: