10 August 2009

Confident of HIs Touch - TW Days 22 and 23

Our assignment for Thin Within last week was to complete the reading and exercises in days 22 and 23. The focus of these exercises is to work through 10 steps to Strengthen Your Belief System, taken from Charles Stanley.

I think these steps form a good process for any believer working on habitual sin. Some stood out for me more than others, but I appreciate the value of each one. I like the fact that it gets me to focus on scriptural Truth about God, me and our relationship. I'm just going to briefly highlight some of the things that most stood out to me.

Step 3 is to highlight Bible verses that deal with courage, confidence, faith and believing. I found one that really spoke to me. In John 16.33 Jesus is talking to His disciples during the Passover feast (the Last Supper). He says:
"These things I have spoken to you so that in me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulations, but take courage, for I have overcome the world."

I love this for two points:
1) My peace is in Him. It's not in me, or meditation or lack of conflict. It's in Him.
2) "...I have overcome the world." In English, when we use this verb form (have overcome) it is a 'perfect verb', meaning that the activity is completed, in the past, with reference to the present. The Greek, however, has a different meaning for this form. Not only is it an activity done in the past, it's effect continues to occur even in the present. This is what makes it a 'perfect', or complete, verb. So, it's not just that Jesus at one time overcame the world, rather He continues to overcome it, in a sense.

[The same thing is true in Galatians 2.20. Some versions render "I am crucified with Christ" others have it as "I have been crucified with Christ". In the Greek sense of the verb, both are correct renderings. Paul was and is crucified with Christ because that action, although in the pat, continues having a present effect.]

Sorry if that was too much grammar ;)

Step 4 includes praying God's promises. I love that because it encourages me to pray Scripture. If I don't know what to pray I can always go to the Word.

I had a hard time with Step 5 (that may be because I chose not to form specific goals through this study. I had no sense of guiding from the Lord and I wanted to just focus on the teachings in the TW book rather than focus on completing a goal). However, from way back on Day 9 I had inspiration from a phrase at the top of page 89 "He holds your future and longs to give you His hope." Since then, I've focused on the fact that one day I will be totally free from gluttony (that may not be until I'm in heaven, but it is a Truth that I can bank on). So, at times when I'm tempted I guess I use this visualization step to say to myself, "The Yvonne of the future doesn't eat that way."

I liked Step 6. I was asked to think of 3 qualities that I would like to foment. I chose to be obedient, content and God-focused (as my friend, Melissa, says, to be "Cross-eyed"). I would love, for my own sake, to be these things, but I would also love for others to look at me and think, "wow, Yvonne is obedient, content and focused on the Lord". He has done more miraculous things in this world than that! ;)

Lastly, Step 7 reminded me of my husband. He is a huge promoter of "positive thinking". I feel like I've made huge strides in negative to positive thinking since my teen years, but I'm still far behind my husband. I appreciate the importance of learning from circumstances and I feel like I've learned more about his during the last couple of months with Thin Within.

To end I wanted to share a verse I read today. In my Sunday school class we are starting a study on the gospel of John. This is 1.16, speaking of Jesus:

"From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another."

Amen!

No comments: