10 June 2009

Stepping Up - Psalm 121

Happy Wednesday!

This morning I dropped my husband off at the airport. He's flying to California for a job interview (I hope it goes well!). I'll pick him up tonight.

The second Psalm in the Psalms of Ascents study is 121. It seems to speak from the pilgrim in the middle of his/her journey towards God. The speaker looks ahead and trusts God for guidance. Below is the HCSB version that we are also memorizing for this study:

1 I raise my eyes toward the mountains. Where will my help come from?
2 My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.
3 He will not allow your foot to slip; your Protector will not slumber.
4 Indeed, the Protector of Israel does not slumber or sleep.
5 The LORD protects you; the LORD is a shelter right by your side.
6 The sun will not strike you by day, or the moon by night.
7 The LORD will protect you from all harm; He will protect your life.
8 The LORD will protect your coming and going both now and forever.


Here is my personalization and rewrite of this psalm for this moment in my life:

Looking ahead I wonder how am I going to get through this? But I know that the God who made me (and the whole universe!) will help me (in my journey to overcome gluttony and food idolatry). He will guide me every step of the way. In Him there is no accident. He won't leave me, forget me or go do something else. He will protect me with His power and authority. Neither will put-downs from myself nor negative thoughts from the world be able to penetrate Him. He will guard my spirit and my walk from now until eternity.

What I love about this psalm is that it is about the journey, not the arrival

No comments: