02 June 2009

Pilgrimage

God is amazing! He is our God of perfect timing. There are no coincidences in Him.

Yesterday, June 1st, was the start date for an on-line study through the Thin Within book. Additionally, my ladies' Bible study group started a new series. It's the Stepping Up series from Beth Moore. It focuses on the Psalms of Ascent (Psalms 120-134). It is very obvious to me that God wants to take me on a pilgrimage this summer (both studies have 30 lessons).

In the introductory session of the Moore lesson, she had us look up Psalm 84.5-7. These are the very same verses that begin the Thin Within book:

Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage.
As they pass through the Valley of Baca, they make it a place of springs;

the autumn rains also cover it with pools.
They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion.


The Lord wants to take me somewhere new this summer. I don't know what He wants to show me, but I am blown away by the similarities of these studies. Over and over in the Bible we read about the topic of pilgrimage (physical or spiritual movement and change). Abraham was called out of the only place he knew to follow the Lord wherever. The Israelites were freed from slavery and called to follow the Lord into the promised land. The exiles journeyed back to Jerusalem after being freed from captivity. We, as believers in Christ, are on our pilgrimage to the New Jerusalem to be united with those chosen (the Church) in Christ Jesus.

Hebrews 12.22-24
But you have come to Mount Zion, to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly, to the church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God, the judge of all men, to the spirits of righteous men made perfect, to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.

Apparently, the Lord is telling me to SET MY HEART ON PILGRIMAGE.

Moore also gave us a challenge in this study. She is encouraging us to joyfully come face down before the Lord during the entirety of this study - to humble ourselves before the Lord. I think I will also try to incorporate this into my Thin Within study as well.

One last thing: she has us look ahead to Psalm 132.13-15

NASB
For the LORD has chosen Zion; He has desired it for His habitation.
"This is My resting place forever; Here I will dwell, for I have desired it.
"I will abundantly bless her provision; I will satisfy her needy with bread.

The Message says it like this:
Yes—I, God, chose Zion, the place I wanted for my shrine;
This will always be my home; this is what I want, and I'm here for good.
I'll shower blessings on the pilgrims who come here, and give supper to those who arrive hungry;

The Lord will be my provision, He will feed me, if only I arrive hungry to study His Word.
Woo-hoo!

No comments: