07 June 2009

Psalm 120

I mentioned a few days ago that while doing the on-line TW study I am simultaneously in a ladies' study about the Psalms of Ascents (Psalms 120-134). I am amazed that the Lord put me in both studies at the same time because they both deal with making pilgrimage, or going on a journey with the Lord.

During the first week of this Beth Moore study we look at Psalms 120 and 121. For each psalm that we study we have a three part exercise. First we read the psalm (in a couple of versions - Beth is having us mainly study out of the Holman Christian Standard Bible (I didn't even know that this version existed - I only found it today on Biblegateway.com) as well as another version. Then, we study it deeper (work it, as she calls it) and then we pray it. We finish by rewriting the psalm in a personal way.

To start, here's Psalm 120 in the HCSB

In my distress I called to the LORD, and He answered me:
"LORD, deliver me from lying lips and a deceitful tongue."
What will He give you, and what will He do to you, you deceitful tongue?
A warrior's sharp arrows, with burning charcoal!
What misery that I have stayed in Meshech, that I have lived among the tents of Kedar!
I have lived too long with those who hate peace.
I am for peace; but when I speak, they are for war.

Since I am doing this study at the same time I'm studying TW I've decided to rewrite the Psalms reflecting my journey away from gluttony. I'll share my personal rewrites as long as I'm not too embarrassed :) So, here's my 120:

God, I am sick of myself and I need you to free me. Free me from the lies I tell myself.
What good will they do me? What benefit will I gain by believing these put0downs and lies about the Lord's truth?
Pain, suffering, prolonged misery and time spent without the Lord.
I am so far from Your truth when I am wrapped up in myself.
My spirit wars with my flesh. When my spirit speaks truth, by flesh comes back with lies.
In our study we learned that Psalm 120 is a song looking a Jerusalem while far off, hoping to make the pilgrimage to the City of the Lord. For me, my rewrite represents the place I am starting on my journey towards the Lord, leaving behind gluttony and rebellion.
Thank you, Lord, that You've provided these studies so perfectly together!

No comments: