09 April 2009

Wasting food

I really hate wasting food.

Maybe because it's because my grandparents are products of the depression. Maybe it's because we were kind of poor growing up. Maybe it's because I could barely afford food in college. I hope it's partly because God has taught me, and continues to teach me, to be a good steward of my resources.

I really don't like wasting anything: electricity, people, time, resources, etc.

My husband and I give away anything that we don't use (he was pretty poor growing up, too). We recycle as much as we can. In the Arizona suburbs I have a compost pile just so I won't waste coffee grounds.

So, when I read about others conquering their flesh by throwing the rest of their breakfast in the trash it's really hard for me to accept. Why not save it in a Tupperware for later (I understand that may not always be possible)? The truth is, for me, if I'm not wholly given over to God a trash can will not separate me from food. I have, and yes it's gross, gone after food that I've thrown away. I used to have to walk my trash out to the dumpster to ensure that I wouldn't go after food that I was binging one.

I know that some of my gluttony strongholds have included being part of the "clean-plate club", quickly eating (read: binging) something so that it wouldn't be a temptation for me anymore, and finishing that last dab of left-overs so they won't go to waste. These are all things that I continue to address in my walk away from gluttony.

That said, I am really uncomfortable throwing away food. After reading about this practice in so many places I finally decided to try it. I regret it. I could have saved the rest (two bites of Bulgarian feta) in my Tupperware. Instead, I wasted it. I think I did it because of self-imposed peer pressure (if that is even possible) rather than because the Lord directed me to it.

I understand that God may lead others differently than I in their repentance from gluttony. I am thankful to read about other's experience in their journey to freedom. I just need to remember that it is the Lord who guides me. Not even the best-intentioned super-Christian can take His place. So until the Lord directs me otherwise, my plan will be to serve myself small enough portions that I won't waste food and, if there is any left over, I will give it to someone else or save it for later.

No comments: