16 April 2009

Sit - I am seated in Christ

This study of Sit, Walk, Stand is already so rich. Please get yourself a copy (Amazon, 70 little pages, $6) if you haven't read it yet.

Read below:

Ephesians 1:19b-21
That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.

Ephesians 2:6-7
And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus.

I'm loving Watchman Nee's take on my identity in Christ. God, in His infinite power, raised Jesus from the dead and seated Him at the right hand (place of power, authority, privileged). Then, Paul goes on to say that I am seated with Him, and that was completed by the very same power that raised Christ. Nee says that "Christianity does not begin with walking; it begins with sitting." It begins with God placing me in a position of rest. I am saved by grace, a gift from God, instead of working (walking) for it. I am unable to do anything to save myself. It was gifted to me.

Nee then says "Christianity begins not with a big DO, but with a big DONE." He did it.

Ephesians 1:3
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.

I love language, so I have to say that the above-bolded verb is, in the Greek, in the aorist tense. Now, aorist just means that the action occurred. My point is, it is a fact that He did this for then. Then, the underlined adjective, means in English exactly what is meant in Greek: all, every.

Now, I have no idea what EVERY SPIRITUAL BLESSING IN CHRIST really entails, but my guess is that it's a lot. More than I can imagine or be grateful for. What I do know is that He did it ALL without my help (or hindrance). So, He identified me with Christ, made me sit down (rest) in Him and gave me every spiritual blessing. If that's not something to praise, I don't know what is! Hallelujah!

This makes me realize that there is NOTHING that I need to do to gain/earn any of it, but believe. He's already done it all. It's like if my friends threw a surprise party for me and, upon arriving, I set out to re-make the plans, buy the food, invite the guests. My actions would be unnecessary, fruitless and possibly very offensive to those giving me the party. Hmm... I never thought of it like that before. Could all of my religious striving offend God? It makes me think of these lyrics by Tenth Avenue North:

Why are you striving these days
Why are you trying to earn grace
Why are you crying
Let me lift up your face
Just don't turn away
Why are you looking for love
Why are you still searching as if I'm not enough
To where will you go child
Tell me where will you run
To where will you run

Even still, after all of this, my flesh will still try to turn this into a work. Nee says, "Our key word here is not of course, in its context, a command to 'sit down' but to see ourselves as 'seated' in Christ." God has said it is so. I vaguely remember a song from when I taught Children's Church: "God said it and I believe it." If that is so and I really choose to believe it, then I have so much to gain!

NoTHING, nobody else has the power to promise me rested identity. I am complete in Him.

No comments: