17 April 2009

Blog entry about gluttony

I've been trying to research more about gluttony. For years I did not see gluttony as a sin. When I lived in Missouri the people at my church always joked about how you couldn't have a church even if there wasn't food present (breakfast/doughnuts beforehand, potluck after, dinner before evening service, ice cream social after, and on it went). I know that my life in Christ is based on living according to His grace and that it's not about focusing on sin. However, I know that gluttony has been an enormous sin in my life as a young person and I want to deal with it's ugliness.

I found a blog http://www.joethorn.net/2005/10/03/seven-gluttony/ written by a Joe Thorn. On this page he write about gluttony and I've included some of his writings below (in italics, my comments in regular font):

I think fasting is an important (an overlooked) discipline, and relevant to the issue of gluttony. One of the benefits of fasting is that it teaches us to do without, to have not, and find contentment in things eternal over things temporal.

I have fasted in the past and it has been beneficial for prayer time and for understanding that I need to go to the Lord to be my fulfillment. In Matthew 6 Jesus gives instructions for fasting. He says, "When you fast" as though it is an expected action. Even through the Middle Ages and the Renaissance in Europe it was still expected for the faithful to fast at certain times. Only now, when food is not at all scarce, have we stopped fasting. I hope to prayerfully return to fasting. On Monday I fasted from one meal. I spent that time in Bible study and prayer. It was wonderful.

How often do we hear sermons on the sin of gluttony? ...Gluttony’s obvious presence in our country ... and its absence from our private and corporate confession is the mark of hypocrisy and careless Christian living. The Bible names gluttony as a sin associated with wastefulness, stubbornness, rebellion and disobedience. It exists on the same level of drunkenness (Deut. 21:20; Pr. 23:20, 21). In fact, gluttony is more dangerous than drunkenness because it goes on with no one taking notice.

I want to live my life in such a way that I don't glorify gluttony. I am waiting on the Lord to move me in that direction. I could come up with my own plan, but I want Him to guide me.

And so gluttony continues on in the church, and we do little about it. It not only destroys the body, but it reinforces the American value of instant and excessive gratification.
If gluttony is the abuse of God’s gifts, if it is self-centered overindulgence, what would repentance look like?


In Sit, Walk, Stand Nee writes that Jesus did not die to defend my rights (much less my wants). He died to glorify the Father and to give me new life. God's ways are true and universal. God laid the foundation for the founding of our country, but He does not hold to our values. God is not an American. I want my life to reflect His Spirit alive in me - not the culture that surrounds me.

In essence we let faith work. We acknowledge God as the author of good gifts (food, drink, pipe tobacco - whatever), and from this recognition emerges gratitude which produces enjoyment and moderation. This is the path to mortifying the sin of gluttony, drunkenness and similar sins.

Getting past gluttony requires me to fully sit in the identity that I have in Christ and allow Him to do the work. He will then teach and guide me in how to live and treat my body. He will teach me to be a good steward of my resources and He will bring about the desire for repentance and the work of sanctification.

No comments: