04 October 2009

Talk on gluttony

The gal that I meet with bi-weekly for the Thin Within workbook #1 sent me the following link on a talk at a women's conference:

http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/christian-womanhood-/gluttony

I think it's really worthwhile to listen to. It's almost an hour in length. The speaker, Crystal Munson, gives her own transparent testimony about her past and current struggles with this sin and gives some helpful verses to back up her exhortations to those also battling it.

My TW buddy found her talk especially helpful to understand the sinfulness of gluttony. I'm thankful for it, as well, since it's not a often discussed sin in the church body.

The speaker encourages the listeners to prayerfully study Bible passages (any passage, actually) and ask the Lord to show us how His Word speaks to us about our habitual sin of gluttony. I think that's a super exercise and hope to implement it into my Bible study time. This summer as I went through Beth Moore's "Stepping Up" study I chose to focus my pilgrimage on my journey away from gluttony and towards freedom in Christ. We didn't have to have any particular focus for that study but I think (1) it helped me apply what I was learning to real life and (2) it gave me another vehicle from which I could contend with this habitual sin. Practice makes perfect!

1 comment:

Autumnseer said...

Wow. "I didn't want God to change my heart. I wanted him to change my body." The entire audio was brutally honest and very thought provoking. Thanks for posting.