06 October 2009

Reflections on the gluttony talk

I've been mulling over in my mind some of the points that Crystal Munson made in her gluttony talk (see the link in the previous post). Her talk wasn't intellectual and she spoke as a person who is still dealing with gluttony (even if she doesn't indulge in it, the temptation continues lurking...).

She started with Philippians 3:18-19
For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things.

She said that these verses speak nothing of the outward appearance of people, rather it deals with their attitude towards Christ. I, like her, think, "I'm not an enemy of Christ, like the verse says," but the truth is that if my god is my stomach and if my mind is on earthly things, then I am, in my actions, defined as an enemy to Christ.

Now, I know that eternally, I am not an enemy to Christ. He made that possible on Calvary. Colossians 2.17 says "To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory." Also, Galatians 2:20 says, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The live I now live I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave himself for me." So, as a believer Christ is in me, but I don't always behave that way.

For years I never knew or saw gluttony as a sin, but now that I know, I have no excuse. The truth is, most of the time I don't want to submit to His teaching or leading. I want to do things my way, but when I behave that way it only goes to prove that in my actions I am an enemy to Christ.

Thank you, lord, for showing me truly that gluttony is sin. You hate sin. You have provided an abundant life for me to live and have provided ways for me to turn from temptation. Thank You for Your Word which teaches me and guides me. Even now, help me to turn to You and choose to believe what You say is eternal Truth.

As I meditate more on the talk I'll add to these thoughts.

No comments: