12 October 2009

Leaning on the promises of God

Expectation minus reality equals disappointment

I totally love this quote! I heard it on Family Life Radio a couple of weeks ago (I think it was Dr. Randy Carlson who said it).

It's a really essential truth for me. Almost every time I feel down, sad or depressed I can link my emotion to a moment of disappointment - a time when I didn't get my way or have my expectations satisfied.

I have one close family member who seems to live in constant disappointment. I will prayerfully consider sharing this quote.

The truth of it is that this happens usually when my expectations/hopes are disordered or unrealistic. For example, using the Thin Within principles I can form my own expectation that I will melt down to a size 4. When that doesn't happen, if that was my hope, I will be left disappointed, maybe angry, probably sad and then I'll be on the road again to depression.

I have no promise of size 4. There is no logical reason for me to put my hopes/expectations in something that that probably isn't a reality for me. However, the Word of God is True! His promises are everlasting. There is no disappointment when I trust in the promises of God.

He promised a child to Sarah in her old age (Romans 9:9)
For this is the word of promise: “At this time I will come and Sarah shall have a son.”

He promised abundance to the Israelites (Deuteronomy 6:3)
Therefore hear, O Israel, and be careful to observe it, that it may be well with you, and that you may multiply greatly as the LORD God of your fathers has promised you—‘a land flowing with milk and honey.’

He promised to give us His Holy Spirit (Acts 1:4-5)
And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, “which,” He said, “you have heard from Me; for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”

There are so many more! Help me Lord to believe in Your promises and to not be disappointed by selfish or man-made promises or desires!

For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us.
1 Corinthians 1:20

No comments: