04 January 2010

That which matters

What a whirlwind of a season! As I look back I ask myself, "how much of your activity matters?"

Over the last few years I've really tried to choose to make my celebration time (Thanksgiving to New Year's Day) matter in the eternal scheme. I want it to glorify God.

That is the reason that He created me, saved me, sustains me and teaches me. His goal and purpose is His own glory. And what a mighty thing it is, too.

I have recently been presented with a couple of really good examples of focusing on what DOES NOT matter. Let me explain.

In my hospital we have been caring for an injured and elderly man of vast wealth. In his home country he used to be the head of the nation's security/intelligence organization. When he commanded something to be done, it was accomplished. If something needed to be purchased he had the ability to buy it. If he needed help from someone, he had all the connections he could ask for. In his current medical state neither his wealth, power or network of acquaintances are able to help him. He is left powerless. This has caused severe depression and worsening of his condition. He has depended on everyone and everything except for the Lord, the only One who is truly Almighty and all-powerful.

This example shows me how we/I can be so easily distracted and exchange our source of strength from the One who is everlasting to something that is so fleeting. I am so saddened by this man and so wish that the Lord would gloriously show Himself in someway to the man and his family.

Then, last week, a high school classmate of mine died. Of a heart attack. We're 30 years old.

His story speaks to me two-fold. First, I don't believe that he knew the Lord and I pray that my mom and others who are reaching out to the family are able to comfort them and teach them about Jesus. Second, he was a very big guy. He always was. We always were. His heart was sick: from the lack of Jesus and from not caring for himself. The same thing could happen to any glutton at any time. Sometimes I wonder how much damage I did to myself as a younger person. Sigh...

I can't undo the past, but I can choose to live now (in the present) for Jesus, following His guidance and walking in His Spirit. There is no sadness in Him, only joy everlasting!

No comments: