26 January 2010

The ability to be generous

I just finished writing the previous entry and I checked my email. In it, there was a recently sent message from one of my Christian brothers who has an awesome idea about how to bless a financially-strapped sister (due to medical bills).

I was brought to tears by its generosity. Immediately I decided I wanted to help out. I want to give.

Years ago God began talking to me about getting into a position where I can give. Right before I got married I finished paying off my student loans (praise the Lord!), but my husband still has his. We keep talking about how we want to pay down debt quickly so we can "get on with our lives".

Actually, I recently learned that a friend is filing for bankruptcy. It makes me so sad, and mad (not too much, though, because this friend doesn't know Jesus... yet). Last night I went home and thanked my husband for being frugal. I told him that I was willing to be content with our falling-apart couch and my car that doesn't run too well. I'm thankful that we don't have consumer debt. It's not worth it.

I have been so thankful to not really suffer from consumer greed. Yes, Lord, I see how You are orchestrating things so that I can see many examples of greed in this very moment... and examples of freedom, joy and giving.

I know that when I don't have material greed, then I am free to use money in other ways (pay down school debt/mortgage, buy things that I need, give to the Lord, help others, etc.) I really want to help out and bless this sister and I am so excited that I am able to do so.

I don't want to get to the "bankruptcy" state in my love of greed and gluttony. I want to hand it over now. God doesn't refinance. He pays off the debts in full and abundantly gives for ever future need.

What will I have the freedom to do once I no longer submit to the sin of food greed? I can't really imagine it, but it has to be good because it's from God :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What will I have the freedom to do once I no longer submit to the sin of food greed? I can't really imagine it, but it has to be good because it's from God :)

Good good question I need to ask myself. I can't imagine it either and am pressing on towards that!!