24 January 2010

Greed musings

I continue to think about greed being a/the driving force behind my gluttony.

Many, if not most or all, of the references in the Bible to greed has to do with material possessions, but I think I can take them and use them for food.

In Luke 12, a man calls out to Jesus asking our Lord to help him get his part of the inheritance that, apparently, his brother is not giving. Jesus uses this as a teachable moment to tell the man, and others within earshot, to be on his guard against all kinds of greed.

ALL KINDS OF GREED. It sounds like food can fall into this category. I have to be on guard so as not to fall into greed. I have to be aware of my circumstances and be ready to react appropriately. That includes being aware of my body. Am I hungry? Does my body need food? If not, what is going on? It also includes being aware of my circumstances. Is there food just hanging out? Do I need to eat it? If not, what else can I do?

The next part of the same verse (Luke 12:15) in the NASB says "For not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions." Wow! Even in abundance of food my life shouldn't be preoccupied with food! Of course, in my right mind I would say that my life doesn't consist of food, but in my greedy mind I have times when I focus entirely on food and body issues.

The abundant life that Jesus came to give me really has nothing to do with physical food. Will I waste His abundant life, and the short time that He gives me on the earth, just to be preoccupied by food? Or, will I choose His freedom, His abundance and His life? It sounds like an easy, clear-cut question, but I still struggle in my flesh against abiding in Him moment-by-moment.

Thank, you, Lord for never letting go or giving up!

1 comment:

Mel- said...

You are absolutely right that food falls into the category of kinds of greed. And that the obsession over it can take us away from the abundant life. I have to remind myself that food is just a cheap substitute for the real joy that God wants to give. Maybe we need to turn our greed towards wanting more and more of Him?