10 July 2009

From the media

I was reading on msnbc.com this morning and I found an article titled "8 ways the food industry hijacks your brain. It's fairly interesting.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31832558/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/

Below is a link to an interview with the same Dr. Kessler from the above article:
http://www.salon.com/env/feature/2009/06/18/overeating/print.html

I like to have this information. I don't want to get wrapped-up in it or become obsessive, but I appreciate disclosure about the food I consume. I think it helps me make better choices.

There's a documentary coming out called "Food Inc" about practices of the food industry. There is a trailer on their website: http://www.foodincmovie.com/

A few years back I really enjoyed the film "Supersize Me" about large, fatty portions served at McDonald's. One thing I will say: it's not entirely McD's fault. Humans walk themselves into the restaurants, order whatever they like and proceed to eat too much. That's really the bottom line.

I actually worked my way through college at McDonald's. Yes, they have stuff that is terrible for the human body (I used to love the steak and egg bagel - good thing it's not sold in the Phoenix market!), but they have other choices. In my last semester of college I decided to lose weight. At that time I was working 5-6 days a week and so I was eating there about 2 meals a day. I lost 25 pounds that semester because I made huge changes in what I was eating: almost nothing fried, lots of salads, vegetables on everything, no biscuits and I ate an ice cream cone almost everyday.

It's about choices and knowing that all things are permissible, but not all things are profitable.

No comments: