11 February 2010

Watch where you're driving!

There was a little bit of a learning curve for me when I first was learning how to drive. While other teenagers are off and running, it took me longer to get some of the basics down. Looking back, I know that's because my focus was all wrong. When driving, you have to be aware of your surroundings: the street, the other cars, buildings, pedestrians, etc. when I first started I kept staring at just the nose (the front of the hood) of the car. I was really concerned about where I was taking the car so I was somewhat convinced that I needed to focus on the car itself.

Had I continued in that vein, I would have quickly had an accident. My focus needed not to be on myself (the car) but on what was going on around me. I think there may be a good spiritual application in all of this. If I continue to focus on myself I'm going to miss the things that happen around me and I could potentially get really hurt!

It is becoming more and more obvious to me how self-serving greed is. When I focus on what I want I miss out on knowing the Lord more, on seeing His work, on participating in His will, on enjoying His creation and His people. Even one moment of idolatry can rob me of enjoying Him.

If I could only remember that on a moment by moment basis... sigh. It's a question of perseverance. I knew that the Bible gives us various examples of perseverance and exhorts us to persevere, but I didn't know until today that the Lord gives us perseverance. In Romans 15:5-6 Paul gives this prayer/blessing:

"Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind with one another according to Christ Jesus, so that with one accord you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Paul defines our God as one who gives perseverance AND encouragement. That's an encouragement to! I read that Paul is praying that God the Father allow us to have the same mind as Christ Jesus with the purpose that corporately the body of believers be able to glorify Him. What a wonderful prayer! Lord, may it be so! The Lord's work in our lives is ultimately for His glory - always. Thank You, Lord, for your encouragement. Thank You for giving me the ability to persevere in truth and love. Thank You for giving me a purpose.

I started thinking about perseverance because my hospital's thought for the day touches on it:

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. --Walter Elliott

The hard thing for me is being consistently intentional. I know, however, intentionality is like a muscle, it becomes stronger as I continue to use it. It's hard for me to pray for intentionality for the rest of my life, but I can pray that the Lord will help be choose to be intentional in this moment, maybe even in this hour - there's only 15 minutes left of it anyhow! :)

I have one more thought on intentionality for this morning. My friend, Jenny, offered us another driving analogy on Monday. She said, "If you don't want to hit a tree, don't look at it." When I focus on sin I'm much more likely to come into contact with it than when I focus on the Lord and walking in the Spirit. It's good advice. Be intentional about what you're looking at and meditating on.

No comments: