08 February 2010

The Gospel and Transformation

I am taking a new class at church on Sunday mornings that serves as a training course for those who (may) desire to disciple another believer. I'm really quite excited about it since most churches that I've ever been a part of have focused on evangelism and not discipleship. Additionally, I think it will be good for me to look at this basic, essential biblical information so I can know it, own it and share it with others.

I'm also thankful that I am beginning this class with a specific sin issue to deal with. I know that may sound weird, but it allows me to take the information that we're learning and apply it directly to my life in a tangible way. For example, we are beginning with memorizing Romans 12:1-2 (NASB):

Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

That is wonderfully good news! I have had the opportunity to memorize it many times in the past and, honestly, most of those times I have just memorized it without trying to apply it in my own life. I know that I do not learn Scripture or scriptural lessons well if I don't have something tangible to apply them to. In those cases I feel that they are good lessons, but vague and I have difficulty understanding how that change can be made in my life. So, all that said, praise God that He is showing me the vastness of my greed, how it affects my relationships and what I will be able to do once I no longer surrender to it.

I also appreciate this class because we begin with the basics of our faith and (re)define terms that we use (like justification, sanctification, etc.). I think it will help us understand more fully and be able to define "Christianese" terms that may be unknown to others. One of the terms that we went over was "stronghold". This word often gets used, I think, to describe a long-term area of sin, a habitual sin or something that is too hard to give up. It makes me think of something binding me. It makes me think of something that I consider more powerful than myself (and what of God, then?). Our pastor included this quote:

Stronghold - to accept as unchangeable something you know to be contrary to the will of God.
~ Ed Silvoso

Is my greed a stronghold? Is it unchangeable in my life? Not according to Romans 12:1-2 above. Neither according to Philippians 1:6:

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

And certainly not in Romans 8:38-39:

For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Maybe stronghold comes from the fact that I have a firm grip (a strong hold, if you will) on the sin because I find it enjoyable. Or necessary. Or helpful. Or ________.

The gospel, the good news of Christ, the "euaggelion" from Greek, makes the only way possible for transformation. That transformation comes through belief in Jesus, the power of the Holy Spirit and the renewal of my mind. Thank God He already took care of the hard part! Now if I can just loosen my grip...

No comments: