16 February 2010

ψυχην

Psuche. Psyche. Soul. Will. Self. That which makes you you. Pride.


In John 15:13 Jesus says (NASB):


Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.


I was slowly working through chapter 15 a few weeks ago in Greek and I was puzzled by this verse. I expected to see words like "zoe" (life) or even maybe "bios" (physical life). Instead it read "psuche".

Jesus was telling them, and us, that the greatest show of love isn't physically dying for them, rather it is putting aside our wants, thoughts, and opinions for their good.

For me this is revolutionary. I used to think that it was huge that Jesus physically died for us... and it is. However, I've come to learn over the last few years that it must have been so much more difficult for Him to step away from divinity so that (with the purpose of) we could be reconciled to Him. It's totally amazing.

It's also a huge call. I find Jesus asking me, then, if I consider Him a friend. If so, am I willing to lay down my "ψυχην" for Him? am I willing to give up that which has made me me?

1 comment:

Mel- said...

Oh - that's good. What a great thing to ponder....

It's way easier to say you'd lay down your life for a friend ('cuz really, what's the likelihood that that would happen?), than it is to say you'd lay down your SELF for a friend.

WOW