29 September 2009

Owning it, not just knowing it

A guy I used to go to church with said, "I know the truth, but I don't own it," meaning that he knew the Truth of God in his head, but he didn't really believe it enough to make it evident in his life.

I feel like I'm in a serious state of not owning what I say I believe about Christ and my identity in Him. I'm going to use my post today to reiterate what I know to be true, with the hope of living it out and owning it.

There's a good deal of change going on around me. I feel like a lot of people are moving on or away. Some of the change saddens me (I've had a "down" feeling for about 3 days and can't seem to shake it) and some of the change raises up feelings of jealousy.

For example, one of my co-workers has decided to go on a severely calorie-restricting diet that uses synthetic hormone supplements to trick your body into losing weight. In about a week she's lost 10 pounds. On the surface, I, too, would love to lose that much in such a short amount of time, but I don't ever want to live through her ordeal. She starves herself and weighs herself religiously. I do not ever want to be so tied to food or the scale again. I've done it before and it makes me miserable!

So, what do I do with all of these feelings? I take them to the Lord. I recognize that my feelings may be valid, but they are not Truth.

  • The Truth of the Lord is that I am free in Christ, whether I ever lose another pound or not.
  • The Truth of the Lord is that my value is found in Christ alone, my Redeemer.
  • The Truth of the Lord is that I have not been 100% submissive to Him in eating or body image idolatry.
  • The Truth of the Lord is that I need balance and peace from Him in order to live a healthy (spiritually, physically and mentally) life.
  • The Truth of the Lord is that He knows how all of this ends.
  • The Truth of the Lord is that I can mess up, be wrong and even sin and He still loves me.
  • The Truth of the Lord is that He knew I would go through this season of life before He created me.
  • The Truth of the Lord is that if I take my eyes off of Him I have no direction, guidance, wisdom or ability other than what the world has bombarded my puny little brain with.
  • The Truth of the Lord is that He has a plan for me to prosper me and nor harm me, to give me a hope and a future.
  • The Truth of the Lord is that this body is not my own. I was bought at a price. I am only a steward (manager) of what God has given me.
  • The Truth of the Lord is that my body is a Temple of the Holy spirit.
  • The Truth of the Lord is that Christ lives in me.
  • The Truth of the Lord is that focusing on His truth is the only way that I will successfully overcome sin and be transformed into His image.

Thank you, Lord Jesus, for giving me these few little moments to focus on Truth. Help me to flee from temptation and focus on You.

1 comment:

Autumnseer said...

I hope the truths of your post helped you as much as it helped me.