23 September 2009

gummies and pasta

I love candy gummies. I don't know if it's because of the texture or that I just like having something to chew on. Gummies are a happy food for me. There's no nutrition, of course. It's mainly colored and slightly colored corn syrup. The fun for me is in the chew and in the shape.



Monday night after a long day at work I stopped by the Trader Joe's and I saw they had penguin gummies. I was pretty excited and I jumped on the impulse-buy wagon. I was a little disappointed to see that they aren't really penguin-shaped, more like ghost-shaped with a squishy belly. Actually, they remind me of the McDonald's character, Grimace.



It was a small bag. I had a few on Monday. Then, Tuesday morning after a tough spinning class I ate the rest of them while waiting for my regular food to cook. I said to my husband, "Oh, I spent all of my hunger on gummies!" I took my regular food to work. Waste not want not.



I was surprised to be filled by gummies. That has never before happened in my life. It sure wasn't a "whole-body pleaser" but I was able to recognize full after eating them. Huh. Go figure.



I spent a few years avoiding certain foods at all cost because I felt I had no control/will power over them. Some that come to mind are: white bread (I would eat half the loaf in toast form in one sitting), corn flakes (I could finish a box in a day), ice cream (ya, I've finished a carton in a day) and pasta. Pasta was one of those soft, easily made, easily consumed foods that disappeared before I blinked twice. Plus, once I realized how many calories were in a tiny little serving, I decided it wasn't worth it.



I don't buy pasta very often now and I tend to measure it out if I'm going to eat it. Today, for some reason, I decided to prepare the whole bag and have it for lunches/dinners to take to work. I'll admit that I ate past a 5, but I ate so much less than what would have filled me in the past. I think I was full on 2 servings, rather than the 6 or so that I would have had previously. I think God is teaching me to change my eating, and so changing my fullness levels.



I wonder... does that mean I'll be able to healthfully consume other previously taboo foods? I may cautiously try.



I've been seriously putting off Bible study this week. I don't work tomorrow, so I plan to make some definite quality time for study of the Word and prayer. I miss it!

No comments: