20 May 2009

Renovation

I'm always eager to read or hear testimonials about what God is doing in the lives of others. I found a website called "Renovation" (http://livrite.com/renovation/splash.htm) that's copyrighted in 1994, so I don't know if the author is still in ministry. A lot of it has to do with her own bondage to and freedom from bulimia, but she writes about different eating disorders (which she also aptly calls "sins"), their roots and their ultimate cure in Jesus.

She writes about internal and external reasons for the practice of an eating disorder. I think the ones that I need to be most concerned with are the internal reasons, because I can't stop the external ones (like the media) from happening. The internal reasons are: the possession of a sin nature, free will, lack of self-control, undisciplined thought life and spiritual deficiency. The author says this about spiritual deficiency:

Not always, but often, a person practicing an ED is not praying. She is either not praying at all, or else not consistently. Just like a marriage, or a friendship, or any other important relationship, your intimacy with God is dependent on quality, regular communication. Another common problem is failing to recognize sin as sin. Many Christians, for instance, do not consider overeating to be synonymous with the "gluttony" spoken of repeatedly in the Bible. Such a Christian may be doing very well spiritually and taking dominion over her flesh in many areas, but she's hardened her heart when it comes to her eating habits...In short, a mature Christian, communing with God, conformed into the image of Christ will not perform eating disorder behaviors.

I love it! Christ is living in me and CHRIST IS NOT A GLUTTON (or, as the author says, Jesus doesn't have an eating disorder). The cure for all of the internal reasons is found in the cure for spiritual deficiency. If I am in the Word and constantly in prayer then the power of the Lord will outshine my sin nature, my free will will be conformed to His, He will teach me self-control and my thought life will be disciplined and focused on the Lord.

He is my answer. He is my choice.

No comments: