23 February 2009

Wycliffe translation to the Goma people

Yesterday we watched a short video about a Wycliffe/Crusade production of the Jesus film into the Goma language of a people group in Africa. They had video from the first showing - a night, projected onto a sheet in the village. They said about 4500 people showed for the first night. In the video they were able to capture people's emotional reactions to their first viewing of Christ's life, death and resurrection (in their own language). I was struck by how real and genuine they were. They applauded at Christ's miraculous healings, they loudly and bitterly wept at His beatings and execution, and they rejoiced over His resurrection. Many people, particularly young men of that community, came to Christ after seeing the film.

I was humbled by their reaction. I asked myself, "when was the last time I genuinely reacted to what the Lord did for me?" I have know the gospel stories for so long that they've almost become rote. I cried and asked the Lord to put that fresh awe and wonder into my heart so that I can see what those people saw.

Isn't it amazing how complete God is? He uses a project designed for people on the other side of the planet, in another language, to change my heart. How great is our God!!!

2 comments:

Mel- said...

Wow! I love that! I just love seeing all the amazing ways that God works.

paulmerrill said...

Thanks for sharing that.

We all need that fresh perspective on how amazing Jesus is. And what a blessing it is to have God's Word.

-Paul Merrill for Wycliffe's The Seed Company
http://www.theseedcompany.org/