18 February 2009

Dealing with addiction

I've noticed that when God deals with me on the issue of an addiction to sin, I not only deal with that sin, but with many others.

The current addiction is gluttony. Well, I've really been hanging on to it for my entire life, but it is the one currently in focus. I am learning in my heart (different than learning in my head, because much of this has been head knowledge for a long time) that food has been my all-in-all. I abuse it, waste it, for fuel. I look to it to make me feel good, to entertain me, to console me. I see that these are lies. God created all food to be good - in its purpose, which is fuel. I need certain nutrients so my body will work. Amazingly, God made food to taste good. He could have created it so it was more like food-pills in the Jetsons. Instead, it made it to be yummy. I think He had purpose in making food this way. I think He wanted to give us good things to enjoy. Praise God for being so good and kind! But my flesh, and Satan, have been trying to thwart God's goodness and out my focus on the creation rather than on the Creator. Thank you, Lord, for being the Creator of all good things.

Genesis 1:31a God saw all that he had made, and it was very good

God did not create me to be a slave to gluttony. He has made me free.

Galatians 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

That said, gluttony is a very real, very profuse sin. God hates all sin! And I hate gluttony. Why? It makes me feel horrible, it gives way to others sins: sloth (because I'm to big to move); envy of others (because they are active, they fit in their cloths, they have food I'd like to eat); discontent (I always need to feed my sin - where's the next snack?); anger (at myself for allowing myself to live in bondage); worry (about my health due to practicing gluttony). And yet, I have chosen to remain in this bondage for so long.

At times I want to blame my community, my society, but it is no one's fault but my own that I have chosen this life of sin. Yes, the Church (body of believers in Christ), in general, embraces gluttony and does not call it sin. God is telling me that this is not for me to try to fix. He is telling me that He wants to change me. If He uses His changes in my life to minister to the body - so be it, but for right now I am only to be concerned with repentance of my personal gluttony.

The treatment for my addiction is not to dwell upon it, or talk through it, but to replace it with Jesus.
2 Corinthians 10:5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

At the moment He is giving me supernatural grace to stop practicing gluttony. I fear the moment when that initial protection may be removed to strengthen my faith in Him, but we are working together in the this present moment. The future will happen when God wills it.

Psalm 119: 105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path

He shows me how to take the next step. Just the next step. And that is all I really need.

Oh God, you are my God and I will ever praise you.
Oh God, you are my God and I will ever praise you.
I will seek you in the morning and I will learn to walk in your ways
And step by step you'll lead me and I will follow you all of my days.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yvonne - the TW facilitator from Newbury Park shared you blog with me today. When I looked into it I noticed your blog on Addiction. The Lord truly lead me to your blog. Thank you from the bottom of my heart - you put to words my full experience except that unlike you I'm not in a good place with the food thing. But...I'm turning it over daiy and praying, praying praying for peace over this life time addicition. Thanks - you've been a true blessing to me. I was filled with mixed emotions as I read your share. Wow. God bless you as you continue to bless others.

One more thing - and you don't have to answer if you don't want to. Are you the same "Sisepuede" that added a short blog in the DFL site? If so then the Lord me to you TWICE in one day - an answer to specific prayers. Thanks for letting him use you.

Yoli