24 February 2009

Gethsemane: war of the will

Last night in Bible study we watched a lesson on Jesus' last night in the garden of Gethsemane. He went there after sharing the Last Supper with His disciples and before being captured. We looked at this moment from the perspective of different gospels, but we were mainly working out of Luke 22:
And He withdrew from them about a stone's throw, and He knelt down and began to pray, saying, "Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Yours be done." Now an angel from heaven appeared to Him, strengthening Him. And being in agony He was praying very fervently; and His sweat became like drops of blood, falling down upon the ground (41-44)

Here, Jesus is our ultimate example of obedience and submission to the Father's will. He was honest in His prayer - desiring to avoid what lie ahead, but more importantly He was willing to accomplish the will of the Father. He agonized over the thought of what He would go through, but He released His own will to be absorbed into the will of the father.

The speaker in this lesson called this ever-so-stressful event a 'Gethsemane moment'. That is, a moment when we are naked in spirit, totally open and vulnerable, and have a choice to make: continue struggling for my own authority so that my own will may be done, or allow myself to become a bond-servant (doulos) to the Lord and have His will consume me.

Jesus was at a peak crisis moment in Gethsemane. He told His disciples to pray, maybe so that they would know to always pray in high-stress situations. This was the ultimate war of the will and Jesus chose to submit. He began His submission int he garden by kneeling. The Lord of the Universe knelt down and humbled Himself to the Father's will. His human glory would be humiliated so that His eternal godly glory would be magnified.

This made me think about my own submission. In what areas of my life am I fighting against God's will. I've fought Him before and I did not win. I remember crying out to Him to let me have my own way. He let me have it and it only brought more heartache and shame. Will I, as the speaker said, "forgo brokenness by bending a knee and submitting"? Or, will I continue trying to have it my own way.

In this journey of repentance of gluttony I am finding so many other sins tied into gluttony. It has been so pervasive! Lord, help me choose Your will! Lord, teach me Your will and then let me be consumed with it - be it in food, relationships, feelings, stewardship of my time and resources or some other little corner of my being that has been closed off to You.

Thank you, Jesus, for your ultimate sacrifice and your ultimate example.

No comments: