31 March 2010

intentionality update

I realized this weekend that over the last couple of weeks I have not been intentional bout much of anything.

I think it started two weeks ago when my husband and I started dog-sitting for a friend of our ungoing cancer treatment. The dog behaved amazingly. She was so cute and sweet and caused us no problem at all. I found myself skipping the gym to go home and play with her. I also found myself skipping time in the Word to play with her.

Also, during the last couple of weeks I have been watching some TV. My husband gives me a hard time about it because I "gave it up for Lent". True, I made a decision to avoid TV, but choosing to watch doesn't make me less holy or less saved. This is a good example of the practive of observe and correct. I actually have found that there's little on the TV that I'm even interested in. I find that I either get bored and turn it off or that I'm disappointed by the end of the show because it didn't do much to build me up. Similar to food, I find that I used to use TV to numb my feeling or fill a void. TV is incapable of doing that. Only God can. Also like food, TV can have its place. There are certain PBS shows I like as well as the occasional sit-com or movie. I just don't need it all of the time. Just like when I began dealing with gluttony, I find that I have a lot more free time when I don't spend it all on TV. I've been reading a lot and trying new baking reecipes (I'm talking myself into trying to make my own puff pastry and mole poblano - both very time consuming items).

So, back to intentionality.

This morning I did a little research on the word 'holy'. I love what I found! One etymology (word history) resource defined it as "that must be preserved whole or intact, that cannot be transgressed or violated". I love it because God is holy. He is whole. He is complete. He cannot be violated. God also calls ME holy and He is the One who preserved me completely, not allowing me to be violated. He does it in me. Praise His name!

No comments: